Drope’s untimely death at the end of 1983 created a void in the Board of Governors. A leader in the Class of '42, his contribution began at Ridley in the late 1930's in football, hockey, cricket, and as a Prefect. He was the Property Committee in the late '60's and '70's. His love for Ridley was recognized in 1966 when he was elected to the Board of Governors, and ten years later, when he was appointed to the Advisory Council. He was one of the finest Property Committee chairmen, addressing problems of deferred maintenance, adaptation of buildings to new purposes, addition of the McLaughlin wing and the Griffith Complex.. He was a successful business entrepreneur as president and later partner of Drope Paving and Construction and later as owner of the Pillar and Post Inn in Niagara-on-the-Lake. He was also a director of the Shaw Festival and a key figure in the restoration of the Niagara Court House.