Ridleians of Distinction - A - L
C - D

Drope, John R.G. OR'42

Drope, John R.G. OR'42
Drope’s untimely death at the end of 1983 created a void in the Board of Governors. A leader in the Class of '42, his contribution began at Ridley in the late 1930's in football, hockey, cricket, and as a Prefect. He was the Property Committee in the late '60's and '70's. His love for Ridley was recognized in 1966 when he was elected to the Board of Governors, and ten years later, when he was appointed to the Advisory Council. He was one of the finest Property Committee chairmen, addressing problems of deferred maintenance, adaptation of buildings to new purposes, addition of the McLaughlin wing and the Griffith Complex.. He was a successful business entrepreneur as president and later partner of Drope Paving and Construction and later as owner of the Pillar and Post Inn in Niagara-on-the-Lake. He was also a director of the Shaw Festival and a key figure in the restoration of the Niagara Court House.
P.O. Box 3013, 2 Ridley Road St. Catharines, Ontario L2R 7C3 Canada 905 684 1889
With more than 700 students from 60 countries, the largest boarding programme in Ontario and the third largest in Canada, Ridley College is a truly international, co-educational, day and boarding school of the world that prepares students for the world. It has provided enriching learning and life-shaping experiences focused on the arts, academics, and athletics since 1889. Ridley’s Lower School offers JK-Grade 8, its Upper School consists of Grade 9-PG, and Ridley graduates attend some of the top universities and colleges around the world. Ridley is the only   co-ed independent boarding school in Canada and one of only three in North America authorized to offer the International Baccalaureate (IB) continuum programme.